Quantcast
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 115378

Iman al-Obeidi 'released' from Libyan detention

Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

Report says woman removed from hotel after claiming she was raped by government militia was freed several days ago

Iman al-Obeidi, the woman bundled out of a hotel in Tripoli after claiming she had been repeatedly raped by government militia, has been released from detention, according to one report.

A week ago the 29-year-old lawyer burst into the Rixos hotel where most of the foreign media are staying, saying she had been held for two days by forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi and was raped by 15 men. Despite efforts by journalists to intervene, the visibly-distressed Obeidi was dragged out of the hotel by security staff.

Her whereabouts since is unclear. However, Channel 4 News reported on Monday that she had been released, citing government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim: "She was released several days ago."

Channel 4 said that Obeidi had appeared to confirm her release in a phone interview given to a new Libyan opposition TV station.

However, her family in Benghazi told the US network CNN they had not heard from her. CNN also said that it had spoken to a woman it believed to be Obeidi, who said she was detained, interrogated and mistreated for three days, and was still being harassed.

Her morale was very low, she told CNN. "They destroyed my reputation. They did not give me a chance to respond."


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 115378

Trending Articles